Thursday, May 5, 2011

RANT: Why Fleet Foxes drive me nuts

Stephen Bishop's guitar is about to get what's coming to it courtesy of Bluto.
It's nothing personal, but I hate Fleet Foxes. To me the Northwest band of bearded bards represents an arm of indie music (no way we can call it rock) that drives me a little nuts.

I've got nothing against beards or acoustic guitars, hippies or harmonizing. But put them all together and it gets a little tedious. From indie darlings like FF to run-away head-scratcher success stories like Mumford & Sons and their Grammy nomination (I mean, WTF?), there's something just plain old fashioned antediluvian about the whole thing. These finger-picking acoustic poseurs are not much more than a museum-piece schtick recycling of the sounds of Alan Lomax.

Now again, another qualification: I don't hate traditional music. I don't love it, but I don't think there's anything wrong with playing traditional music. I do, however, have a problem with recording that music and passing it off as some sort of glorious new thing (which I guess is really the fault of SubPop and music critics in this instance). This ain't nothing new. It's looking backwards. It's as if uncovering Dylan's pre-electric catalog and aping the records of Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young are revelatory. There's nothing new about it. It's not discovery. It's history.

Now I know. This is the sort of rant that qualifies me for early admittance to the AARP. A thoughtful criticism of Fleet Foxes -- whose new album Helplessness Blues inspired this rant -- might note the delicious irony of six (there are six of these guys, right? Who knew you needed that many guys in a folk band?) bearded fellas playing acoustic campfire ditties deep within the gut of our new digital age. It's as if they're purposefully assaulting the mash-up age of Twitter and Pandora with mighty swings of their mandolins. Their music is a reaction to the machine, some Pitchfork scribe might say, a simplification of process and a return to the pure. And aren't those beards awesome?

But I can't help the feeling that the whole thing is a ruse. Not so much by the band -- let's face it, if you're going to fake your way through the songwriting process, there are many more lucrative avenues for you -- but by those who peddle the band's songs and buy their anachronistic records by the score. These are the people, these fans, who are creating a marketplace for memorabilia music so they can sip wine in their rustically accented living rooms under the right ambient conditions. This is the kind of music made for sipping a soy latte. In other words, it's a reprehensible sham.

Perhaps if Fleet Foxes were alone I wouldn't mind them so much. But a tour through the SubPop catalog these days uncovers a whole lumberjack-sized musical marketing movement of harmonizing hirsute hipsters -- The Head and the Heart and Chad Vaan Gaalen. There're are other vintage bands out there, too: The Mountain Goats, and the more popular Avett Brothers are some disparate examples, but examples of the same basic backwards movement. As a whole, it's just too much.

The biggest problem I have with this kind of music is that it's music that is very safe in a time and age that is anything but. To me, now is not a time to withdraw to the woods. It's a time for a scouring of the landscape with an eye towards the political process and the growing gap of economic well being of those inside our borders and out. It's a time do defend the well being of our forests and streams. It's a time for suspicion, paranoia and rage and there's a lot music can do to capture and comment on these times, here and now.

That doesn't mean I think every band should be Fugazi or fail. That would be ridiculous. Great art can be about personal reflection. But today is just not the time for a musical movement that serves as a soundtrack for our escape into the past. It's time to deal with today, whether its personal or political. To do otherwise is a retreat. I don't see it any other way, no matter how pretty your harmonies might be.

I love well-put opinions to the contrary. Let me know what you think with a comment.

10 comments:

  1. I can't disagree. It's maddening,

    Not as eloquent, but a similar vein:

    http://1year1hundredalbums1hundredreviews.blogspot.com/

    Jon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pete,

    Beautiful. I've been trying to express this exact thing. As I am a lyricist, my prose suffers. Great work.

    Jack Ventimiglia
    Housepet
    http://www.housepet.bandcamp.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I share a lot of these sentiments, but somehow I don't think you have put your finger on just what makes Fleet Foxes objectionable. It's not just the nostalgia -- I can enjoy Raphael Saadiq or Sharon Jones, and they are no less retro. It's not just the CS&N 1970 harmonies -- Dawes does that, too, and I am a fan. It certainly isn't because they are recycling the Alan Lomax catalog -- that's a terrible insult to the Alan Lomax catalog, and all of what Greil Marcus called "old, weird America".

    That's part of what's missing for me: there's just no "weird" at all. No mojo; no juju; no nuffin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. John, I like that thought.... that there's no weird in new "Americana," or whatever you call it now. It's one of the things I like about Neko Case. She's got that old, weird and haunting thing down. I find Case to be creative and vital. Much more than any of the bands I mentioned above.

    For what it's worth, I'm not a big fan of the retro soul thing either. It's done fine, but I might as well just listen to Sam and Dave, James Brown, Sam Cooke and Aretha Franklin. I think most of the credit for the new stuff belongs with the producers... I really thought that was the case for Amy Winehouse. Without the producer of that record, she was not all that exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "harmonizing hirsute hipsters..." Love it!
    H

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think your arguement was put eloquently and I respect your opinion. I also agree with you on the fact that music can be powerful when it conveys a message or alludes to modern day issues. Having said that, I found that I disagreed with a few of your comments.

    The purpose of music (and art in general) is to convey a feeling. To call the fleet foxes "memorabilia music" and to say they are "faking their way through the songwriting process" is a bit of a stretch. I am aware of the numerous folk bands that have become popular nowadays but it's wrong to put them all in one bag because they're all so different. Labelling things makes it easier- we can classify everything in our mind but everything we put into one group suddenly becomes homogenous. The fleet foxes are rarely safe and constantly experiment with new sounds. Listen to the last half of "The Shrine/Arguement" on their last album. I find their lyrics timeless and their melodies sporadic and unique. I think it's neither historic nor replicated (but that's just my taste I guess).

    I am not at all what you would describe as a "lumberjack shirt wearing bearded hipster" and the whole culture of conforming to non-conformity bugs me a little, but that's beside the point. I feel that they can have an air of pretentiousness, but I think it is important to have respect for all types of music. Even top 40 songs deserve some- there is a reason why they are so popular and it must take some talent to make such simple lyricism so darn catcy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Pete - I hate them too, but not because they're not new. And I like Mumford. But these guys have no melodies, no hooks and no jam. The harmonies aren't that good, and the lead "singer" has no resonance in his voice. He pushes the sound out with very little in it. And he's out of tune way way too much. For a "vocal band", they need to be able to sing better! (Check out the classical singing group "Medieval Babes" for example. Mykonos is the closest they have to a real song. They really are the most overrated crap group in a generation. WTF?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I happen to like the Fleet Foxes because their sound strikes me as rich and evocative, but I have to thank you for this article. I couldn't think of what they were called, so I googled "hipster goat beard band" and lo, it yielded this article.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Let me just add that the lead singer sounds so whiny that you want to give him a time out in a corner somewhere. Also, the melodies have no variation - they range over a few notes on top of one or two chords. The lyrics are either mawkish or deliberately meaningless and obscure and if I have to hear the lead singer pronounce "hill" as "heyill" one more time I will scream. There's more grit, funk, and meaning on an Osmond's greatest hits record. By the way, I feel the same about Marcus "Jeez, lighten up a bit" Mumford

    ReplyDelete